Warragul Leisure Centre is proud to offer swimming lessons with the Y.
For more than 100 years the YMCA has been teaching Victorians of all ages to swim. We're passionate about inspiring children to develop a lifelong love and a positive connection to the water by learning to swim.
Our swimming programs
Our swimming programs help students become better and safer swimmers. This is incredibly important when living in a regional environment with many varied bodies of water.
Swimming lessons at Warragul Leisure Centre run for 48 weeks throughout the year. We offer swimming lessons for infants, preschool children, school-age children and adults.
We also run swimming programs for schools, holiday swimming programs and Aqua Sensory Play programs. Warragul Leisure Centre even has a Club Development Squad that you can join.
Learning to swim is even easier with an ongoing Swimming Lessons membership. This includes a weekly lesson, access to the pools all year round and access to the outdoor pools across Baw Baw Shire in the summer!
Warragul Leisure Centre swimming pool facilities
The swimming pool facilities at Warragul Leisure Centre include:
- a 25 metre indoor pool and a 50 metre outdoor pool;
- a program pool and children's splash pool with water features;
- a warm water pool;
- family changing rooms;
- accessible changing rooms for people with disabilities, with a hoist in our warm water area and wet / dry changing rooms.
Swimming lessons benefits
In Australia, we love catching up with friends and family outdoors. This means that a pool, the beach, a lake or river is never far away – and that's great! However, each year the drowning report show us that even competent stroke swimmers can get into trouble in the water or tragically lose their lives.
That's why learning to swim is about more than just mastering different swimming strokes. It's also about establishing a lifelong appreciation for safe activity in the water. Our swimming lessons teach vital survival skills and knowledge so that your child stays safe in and around water. These are skills that will benefit your child for life.
With our swimming lessons, your child will:
- develop and refine their swimming strokes;
- learn essential water safety, personal survival and open water techniques;
- understand how to cooperate with and respect others in the water;
- be able to make sensible decisions and solve problems in and around water;
- develop their physical health and wellbeing;
- build their water confidence;
- challenge themselves to build endurance and strength for the sport of swimming.
National Swimming and Water Safety benchmarks
Our Swimming Lessons with the Y program is aligned to the National Swimming and Water Safety Framework.
This means that as children progress through our program, they are also meeting key milestones through the achievement of benchmark skills for six year olds, 12 year olds and 17 year olds, determined by Royal Life Saving Society Victoria.
Accredited swimming teachers
Passionate, professional and industry-qualified, our swimming teachers will empower your child to reach their full potential in and out of the water.
All of our swimming teachers undertake ongoing training and professional development. We invest in them to ensure they lead the delivery of our expertly developed curriculum.
Swimming lesson levels
We offer a range of swimming lessons to suit different ages and abilities. Take a look at our swimming lesson categories below.
Swimming lesson prices
The below prices apply across all swimming levels. Payment is taken fortnightly by direct debit, with the total cost spread out across the year.
Type Per lesson cost Fortnightly direct debit Swimming lesson (infants to school age)*
*Includes four make up lessons
$19.80 $39.60 Private 1:1 swimming lesson (information available upon request)*
$56.80 $113.60 12 week swimming lesson block (infants to school age)*
*Upfront payment, one make-up lesson
N/A $246.00 Swimming lesson (adult) $19.80 $39.60 Accessible classes (please contact us for further details) $19.80 (per 20 minute class) $39.60
Aquaplay - casual basis (infants)
- No bookings required
- Tuesdays at 12:30pm - 1:30pm and Wednesdays at 12:45pm - 1:45pm
- Contact us for further details
$10.80 (one hour session)
- Prices are effective July 1 2022
Students are entitled to unlimited pool use during the centre’s opening hours (except warm water pool) and at Baw Baw Pools.
- Immediate family are able to access the pool free of charge two hours before and after the lesson time (except warm water pool).
- On non-lesson days, for students enrolled in parent / child classes, swimming lesson membership entitles one adult to accompany the child at no cost for a swim (parent and child must enter facility together).
- On non-lesson days, for students enrolled in lessons not requiring parental assistance, membership entitles one adult to accompany the child to spectate at no cost. If the adult wishes to swim, they must pay full / concession entry.
Participants will also enjoy:
- unlimited access to the Warragul Leisure Centre and Baw Baw Pools outside of lesson times;
- regular feedback on progress and a certificate after they complete each level via Swim Desk.
YMCA Swimming Lessons also include:
- no start up fees, no lock in contracts, no cancellation penalties (14 days' notice required);
- 33 week guarentee progression policy (conditions apply);
- convenient make-up lesson policy;
- free three week break over summer and one week break over winter.
Make-up lesson policy
- Four make-up lessons per student, per calendar year
- One additional make-up lesson per public holiday (during lesson weeks)
- All use of make-up lessons are subject to availability
- Make-up lessons cannot be cancelled and re-booked
- Lesson must be cancelled before your lesson time on the day by phone (03 5623 4017) or email (email@example.com)
- Make-up lesson must be used within two weeks of missed lesson, only after the date of the cancelled lesson
- Lesson suspension is available with a medical certificate (minimum two weeks)
- Make-up lessons cannot be used after a membership has been cancelled
- Make-up lessons are not transferable (cannot be redeemed for cash or account credit)
- If swimming lessons are cancelled and re-joined in the same calendar year, the make-up lesson balance resumes as per date of cancellation
We understand that sometimes you may have to miss a swimming lesson, so we have an absence request form that you can use to let us know if this is the case. As a member, each swimmer enrolled in a lesson is eligible to four make-up lessons per calendar year.
To inform us of you or your child’s absence request we only require verbal confirmation unless it is medical, then we require a medical certificate; we will then be in touch to arrange a make-up lesson.
Terms and Conditions
A parent or guardian is required to actively participate in the water with babies and young children in all of our Infant and Preschool modules.
Spectating parents and guardians should always remain poolside watching their children whilst in lessons and follow the Watch Around Water Policy at all times.
Swimming teachers must see a visual handover to the parent or guardian of every child at the end of class so please ensure you are present for this to ensure the safety of your child and the continuous smooth running of our program.
The YMCA welcomes the capturing of your magic moments on camera or video, however privacy of others must be respected. The use of cameras and video at this venue is conditional upon having all relevant individuals consent to use images noting it is illegal to broadcast or publish images without consent. Under no circumstances are cameras, video cameras or mobile phones to be used in change room areas.
All Swimming Lesson members have unlimited access to the pools to practice or play. The parent or guardian accompanying the child also receives free access.
There are no lessons held on public holidays. If you miss a lesson due to a public holiday, you can arrange a make-up lesson as per our make-up policy.
Your Direct Debit Request [DDR] Service Agreement, which you signed on enrolment, contains all of the information and terms and conditions related to your membership with us.
A seven day cooling off period applies to your signed membership agreement.
Membership payments will be made via scheduled Direct Debit as set out in your DDR Service Agreement.
If a scheduled debit date falls on a public holiday, we will debit your account on the next business day. Credit card debits are live transactions, therefore they will be honoured or declined immediately, so it is recommended that the funds are available the night prior to the debit.
Bank account debits may take up to five days to be cleared from your account.
Please ensure your nominated account can accept direct debits.
There must be sufficient money in your account on the payment (debit) day.
It is your responsibility to inform us at least three business days before your next direct debit payment if you need to change your payment details.
If your payments are not made on the due date, your automatic centre access and lessons will be suspended until your payments are up to date.
There is a late payment fee of $10.00 if your payment isn’t honoured. This will be debited from your account with the next scheduled payment.
If you find yourself in financial difficulties, please speak with a staff member as you may be eligible for our Open Doors program. Find out more about Open Doors.
Your YMCA centre may at any time upon sending an email or written correspondence to your last known contact address and giving 30 days’ notice increase the agreed amount or make changes to terms and conditions. If you have any queries in relation to any proposed changes please contact your YMCA centre.
Your membership will continue indefinitely until such time as you request a cancellation in writing. This can be done by completing a cancellation request in centre or emailing us to request a cancellation.
No claim for cancellation will be recognised without a receipt of confirmed cancellation, either in the form of a copy of your cancellation request or a return email from us confirming your cancellation request has processed.
There will be a period of notice of 14 days between the date of request and the date of actual termination, during which any payments due must still be paid in full.
If you or your child are unwell, stay home and get well. Help us keep our facility clean and healthy by not attending if you or your child:
- have an infection, contagious illness or physical ailment, such as an open cut or sore;
- have had diarrhea or ‘gastro’ symptoms;
- a rash that is contagious or undiagnosed;
- there is any other risk, however small, to other members and guests.
Infants are required to wear aqua nappies that are tight fitting around the thighs if they still need to wear a nappy. Standard nappies are not permitted in the pool. Please change your child’s aqua nappy away from the pool, and dispose of it in the appropriate bin.
If you miss a class due to illness, please book a make-up class. Longer term suspensions for the Swimming Lessons program are available for medical reasons. A medical certificate must be provided.
Watch Around Water Policy Information
YMCA Victoria is a Watch Around Water endorsed aquatic safety organisation. The following information is the new watch around water policy launched in centre from 1 September 2019.
Watch Around Water is a set of industry guidelines outlining the minimum supervision requirements of young children at all affiliated aquatic venues.
Children under 5 years oldAll children MUST be accompanied into the centre by a responsible person 16 and over and supervised within arms’ reach, at all times in the water.
All children MUST wear a pink wristband supplied by Warragul Leisure Centre staff to help identify their age while swimming.
Children will not be admitted without a full fee paying parent/guardian who must also be in the water at all times. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 5 years exceeds the ratio of 1:2 (effective September 1 2019).
Children under 10 years oldAll children under the age of 10 MUST be accompanied into the centre by a responsible person 16 and over. All children MUST be actively supervised by an adult over the age of 18 at all times. The adult must have a clear and active view of the child with no physical or structural barriers between them (this includes tech and devices).
All children MUST wear a yellow wristband supplied by Warragul Leisure Centre staff to help identify their age while swimming. Groups will not be admitted entry where the number of parents/guardians supervising a group of children under 10 years exceeds the ratio of 1:4.
Children under 10 MUST be accompanied into the centre by an adult or guardian over the age of 16 and must remain as a supervisor during the birthday party activities.
All birthday participants under 10 MUST wear the appropriate wristband (pink or yellow) to identify their age.
All participants 3 years or younger MUST have an adult acompany them into the water for the duration of water activities.
Visit the watch around water websiteFor more information visit the Watch Around Water website.